Supporting balance between family and work and benefits to employers
Balancing work and personal life is one of the challenges employees face and struggle with. Employers can also benefit greatly from addressing work-life balance issues with their employees. A few of the advantages for employers include:
- A reduction in staff turnover and recruitment costs;
- Reduced absenteeism and sick leave;
- Improved productivity or performance;
- Increased engagement and commitment levels;
- Improved morale and job satisfaction;
- Improved corporate reputation.
Workplace strategies supporting a positive work-life balance will differ depending on the size, type of organization and workforce profile. Find out what else employers can do to encourage work-life balance for employees.
Work and family balance opportunities for employees
Have you even been in a situation when you were unable to work because all you could think about was your family, or, the opposite, you brought your work home and did not spend any quality time with your family. That means you have a problem balancing work and home.
To find a balance between work and home, different people do different things:
- Reduce their workload;
- Reduce their load at home dropping some of their home duties;
- Hire people to help them around the house, nannies.
Balance between work and home is not something set forth in legislation; it is person’s individual satisfaction with his/her life shaped by his/her priorities.
Family-friendly local municipality to ensure balance between work and home
Municipality can provide support to ensure work and home balance for their residents while highlighting those issues as employers.
Municipality may benefit from supporting work and home balance as follows:
- Bringing in new residents;
- Improving social and economic conditions;
- Sustainable development of the local authority;
- Family-friendly local authority image.
Support practices of local authorities can differ.